Coworking brings a lot of advantages to coworkers. Among the main benefits there’s an increase in productivity, business and happiness. So far I’ve listed 27 advantages of coworking (this is the updated list of the advantages of coworking that was originally included in The Coworking Handbook):
- Grow your business faster: be more productive, expand your network, receive your clients in a professional setting… Coworking spaces are made to help you grow faster.
- Expand your personal and professional networks: you will meet a lot of interesting people in a coworking space. Some will become friends, some will be professional contacts, some will be both.
- Facilitated introductions: the most important part of a coworking space is its community of members. The people running them and other coworkers look out to introduce members based on common interests and possible win wins.
- Find new clients and grow your income: joining a coworking space expands your network and makes it easier for you to get new clients. Make sure you introduce yourself and that your coworkers know what you do and the kind of clients you are looking for. This coworker got 25 times his membership in jobs thanks to joining a coworking space.
- Find talent and people to work with: you are surrounded by professionals with knowledge and networks you can tap into to find talent and feedback.
- Hire and be hired: coworkers tend to book other coworkers to work with them in projects. It is much easier to ask a person sitting close to you than to run an internet search and vetting process.
- Be more productive: get more done, faster and with lest effort.
- No distractions from family members: they are well intentioned, but they interrupt when they shouldn’t and this strains family relationships.
- No temptations from the fridge and TV: procrastination is easier to beat at a coworking space.
- Be more motivated to work by surrounding yourself of hardworking professionals like you: having other people around you focused in their work helps you focus in your own work more easily. Reduce effort and increase productivity.
- Be more creative: getting out of your home, having interesting people around you and engaging conversations will help you be more creative. There are so many ideas and projects in a coworking space community that you will be inspired.
- Share with soundboards that will improve your projects: the coworkers around you have a lot of experience in different fields. Talk to them to get their input and improve your own projects.
- Better work life balance: separate work from your home. End the cycle of days that get longer and work productivity that gets slower.
- Work in professional environment (get out of your home and your pajamas): work in a clean and professional environment that motivates you surrounded by other professionals.
- Get a professional working routine with your own schedule: adapt the use of the coworking space to your own schedule. Coworking is made to adapt to your needs.
- Work by yourself, not alone: focus on your own work while working with other people around you that could give you a hand if you need it or that will be open for a chat around a cup of coffee. It is a bit like if the support network of a large company was recreated with independent professionals instead of departments, and without the political backstabbing.
- Eliminate isolation: don’t isolate yourself at home. Be with peers that go through the same hardships and joys as you.
- Increase self confidence: a better working routine will increase your self confidence and make you feel better about yourself.
- Be healthier: being in the company of others has been shown to improve physical and mental health. Work / Life balance improves too. Getting out of your pajamas and having a welcoming place to go to every day will help you have healthier habits.
- Better Internet connection: why limit yourself to a home Internet connection when you can enjoy the benefits of a profesional line? Upload and download files at the fastest speed so you can focus on the work that ads value instead of waiting.
- Flexibility: choose a plan based on your needs and change it monthly to adapt to you. If you have a mission at a client’s or you are leaving for a trip you can just halt your membership instead on paying like with a traditional lease.
- Reduce your commute: if your job is far away, you can reduce your commute time and expense by joining a coworking space near your home.
- Complement your work from home: the flexibility of coworking spaces allows you to choose and change plans to adapt to your needs. You can work some days from home and others from one or more coworking spaces.
- Cost efficient: cheaper than renting an office and they come with a lot of extras like events and effortless networking.
- No utility bills: coworking spaces cover this expenses themselves so you can focus on your business.
- No dealing with service providers and repairs: another nag that you can discard. Just make sure that you pay your coworking bill and they will take care of getting everything running.
- And last but probably most important: happiness! Mehdi reminded me and he’s right. I’m much happier thanks to coworking and so are the people around me.
Coworking has disadvantages too, but they are very easy to address.
Click to Tweet!
Easy to share tweets, just click on your favorite and you will witness social media magic!